Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Jewish Museum

NYC has a lot of famous museums, not all of which are of interest to me, but this one definitely was. And I was not disappointed at all.
I was planning to go anyways because I was curious about it, but I found out that they were having an exhibit of early comic book art by Jewish authors, which immediately drew me in because I have been (and really still am) a huge fan of comic books & graphic novels. Even though many of them can be pretty pulpy, I very much believe that the medium itself represents a serious and important art form, in the hands of a good author & storyboard artist.
Come to find out that a ton of the significant comic artists were Jewish. The creators of Superman, Bob Kane who created Batman, and a bunch of others whose names are escaping me, they had exhibits from all these guys, I’d never realized what a profound influence on the art form the Jewish community had. I feel like practically the only guy who wasn’t Jewish was Stan Lee, the creator of the X-men. Also found out that many of the early comics had storylines that pitted them against the Nazis; they had some great covers showing Captain America and the Human Torch fighting German stormtroopers. I hadn’t realized the extent that these books incorporated nationalistic tones.
Superman himself is interesting, as his Kryptonian name Kal-el literally means ‘all that is from God’. The exhibit described him as the ultimate triumph of the immigrant Jewish boy, which is an angle I’d never thought of before but completely makes sense knowing now the background of his creators.
Of course, comics wasn’t all the Jewish Museum had, and I thoroughly enjoyed the floors with the exhibits of artifacts from Jewish culture & history, which are far too rich & numerous to go into here. All that to say, I enjoyed my visit immensely, and may very well go back again.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, January 13, 2007, Blogger Steve Bergson said...

I feel like practically the only guy who wasn’t Jewish was Stan Lee, the creator of the X-men.

Actually, he is Jewish too. Real name : Stanley Lieber. He got the job through Martin Goodman, who was married to Stanley's cousin, Jean.

His name change wasn't motivated by wanting to seem less Jewish. He wanted to become a serious writer and thought comics would just be a temporary sideline.

 
At 5:42 PM, January 14, 2007, Blogger David Aaron Engle said...

Oh seriously? That's hilarious. Yeah I even wondered about that, but Lee didn't sound at all like a Jewish name, and he wasn't featured as an artist in that particular gallery. With so many prominent names being featured and as influential as he's been on the genre, I just assumed the omission of his name meant he wasn't Jewish.
Thanks for the correction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home