Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Graduation: Quellos

And so it was to my surprise and extraordinary pleasure that I recently signed my letter of acceptance for a job doing exactly what I wanted to do, right here in Seattle. When I talked to my friends about staying and working here in Seattle, I told them there were only two shops (that I knew of) that I’d really be excited to work for. One of those two is the place that offered me the position I have accepted.
Quellos is a hedge fund in downtown Seattle that has been in operation for more than 10 years and has done well for almost all of those years. It has grown considerably both in head count and in funds under management, and was recently purchased by a well-known asset management firm back in New York City, giving it stronger ties back there.
After a month of interviewing and review on both sides, the offer that Quellos approached me with is an extremely generous one, and one that I am very happy accepting. At this point in my life and career, it is even better than the best possible opportunity I could envision. The only thing I’m even slightly unhappy with is the fact that their building doesn’t have its own parking garage, so I’ll have to bus to work if I don’t want to pay for parking. But considering all the benefits, this really is rather minor.
For this opportunity I find myself both feeling very satisfied and also very thankful. In many ways, it is the just reward for hard work well done, not only the two years finishing school in New York, but also putting myself through community college and all my work at Microsoft, which Quellos told me added value for them. But I realize it is also a gift. It is the good door I have prayed for. And I am going to enjoy walking through it immensely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home